Monday, December 24, 2007

Marathon Training?- Day 1

After having Christmas brunch with some of the Glenview Locos, who are now in their 40s, it seem like it is time to do those things which you've always pondered, but never did. James K., coming off of his 1st marathon, was there to lend some inspiration to start training for the LA Marathon. It's only 10 weeks away and I really doubt that I can get fit enough to run/walk 26.2, but I'll use the run date to train towards doing to bike tour.

Now I've done the bike tour before and it is relatively easy on a bicycle, but this year I will start training for the 2009 marathon. My "friend" Chong has put it into my head that I need to loose weight. My darling wife hasn't said a word, but I'm sure that she is glad that someone has said something about my unhealthy lifestyle and motivated me to get fit.

Today was Day 1 to train. After a morning filled with last minute Christmas shopping and lunch with my wife, I arrived home to the dogs and more computer time. Just before Lisa got home, I decided to go for a run. How was it?

Now I don't have delusions about my fitness. I know I am way out of shape and probably 30 lbs over what should be my healthy level. After lacing up my kicks, I headed down the street towards the park. I jogged by Kev's house, to find him and his neighbor sitting in the garage kicking back in the neighbor's garage. I wonder what Kev was thinking. I guess I'll find out tonight when we go over there for a Christmas Eve dinner, featuring Turducken.

I ran/walked about 1 mile. Probably 0.5 miles of running and 0.5 miles of catching my breath. It was eyeopening at best. I was only able to make it to the gym before I started walking. My breathing was heavy and shallow and my legs were feeling heavy. I definitely don't have the same lung capacity that I used to. Probably about half of the lung power from before. It was refreshing though once I returned home to a worried Lisa.

The look on her face was part concern and part amazement that I actually went to exercise. I'm known to go out too hard exercising and burning myself out rather quickly. Training for this marathon thing is going to take some dedication. I hope I can keep it up with the support from Lisa, James K and Rick A(at work). We'll see what happens after the first week. Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home